Reel to reel quality

     Hey gang,

     I've done some looking around on the Internet for the past few days
and haven't come up with
much info yet (including some Yahoo Groups) so I thought I'd try this well
spring of like minded
techies and gear heads.

     In one large step backwards, I recently took the plunge and purchased
an Otari 8 track
($14,000 a decade or two ago, nowadays cheaper than recording software)
I'm looking to purchase
some blank tape for it, both for professional recording and also for
recording rehearsals.  I've
been looking at Ampex/Quantgy 456 just because I know it's an industry
standard.  So two
questions:

     1)  Is 456 really the way to go?  Or are there other high quality
tapes out there that would
serve me well?  Does it depend on the application?  I'm recording mostly
electronic music along
with a fair amount of musique concrete.  By electronic music, I mean
modern day synths and analog
and digital processors.

     2)  On eBay there are many auctions for used tape that has been bulk
demagnitized as well as
"new" tape that is several years or decades old.  I am aware of the
difference in quality between
virgin and demagnitized tape, and I am also aware of 25 year old tape
starting to delaminate or
have the oxide coating come off as you play it.  The questions are: How
old can "new" tape be for
it to still be viable (assuming good storage conditions), and Does used
tape degrade faster once
it's been run through the machine and then put into storage for many years?

     I'm looking for both 1/4" and 1/2" reels (10.5")

     Any specific advice would be welcome and especially any links to
websites that contain more
info.

     TIA,

          Stephen