Scofield live / Looping

Hello all,

Last night I saw the John Scofield band at the Barbican in London, excellent performances from all the band, very entertaining, both musically and humourosly ( sing-a-longs, Sco's between song banter, the drummers RZA t-shirt and rapping, the 'Crazy Horse' type squat stance of the bassist in front of his Music Man stack and so on )

Scofield used the Boomerang almost constantly, he really likes the backwards stuff, thought there were plenty of loops of chord changes too. He also had a Boss loop station which he used to trigger a sample in one of the songs, some old guy singing a simple nursery rhyme like ditty. A highlight was him triggering it right on the beat at the end of an extremely 'out' note sequence - it got a good laugh from the audience. Then there was his manipulations of a EH Micro Synth, low end filter sweeps to a drum and bass backing groove.

Over all, very modern and funk/hip hip oriented. Quite a few women too, which is sort of encouraging ( though I don't know if this had anything to do with the support band 'KOOP' )
Some of the more jazz folks seemed a tad put out by it all, but they probably enjoyed the last time I saw Scofield a couple of years ago, with Joe Lovano - who looked the spit of Frank Cannon - a real 'head,solo,solo,solo,head,out' gig, and kind of boring despite the musicianship on display

Anyway, catch him if you can.

Andrew