MIDI looping (again)

I'm trying to narrow my wish list for a MIDI looper in the hope that
something will actually meet these needs/desires...

1. I want multiple independent loops or phrases.

2. I want to arm a record on a loop and have it wait for me to press a key
to start recording. I want to stop recording by hitting a button. The idea
is, prep the device, play the loop, and then tell it to start looping by
hitting another button.

3. I want it to exhibit EDP-like smarts or better with respect to
quantization. In other words, I should be able to optionally quantize the
loop length to a tempo but that shouldn't affect when exactly it starts and
ends just how far apart they are. I also want to be able to generate tempo
from loop length.

4. I would like to be able to overdub, but I might trade overdubbing for
more easily accessible loops.

5. If I can overdub I want to be able to erase notes.

6. If I can overdub, I'd like to be able to multiply.

7. I want to play multiple loops at once more or less like a phrase
sampler.
>From a performance standpoint Roland's RPS function on their grooveboxes
>and
the phrase playback on the SP-808 is a good model but neither is
particularly good for spontaneous phrase creation.

Is there anything out there that can do this? If not and the answer is that
I have to use a computer and Max, is there a particularly good control
surface to use for this sort of task? I'd like something where I can
provide
visual feedback on the control surface so that I don't have to look at the
computer screen to see what's going on.

Mark