Re: Scofield live / Looping

On Saturday, June 7, 2003, at 11:30 AM, Ian Petersen wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> And I saw King Crimson thursday night. Sadly the sound was awful, but
> it was quite a good show all the same. Quite a bit of looping going
> on,  I think.

I've been at King Crimson shows where the sound is good, but others
positioned elsewhere in the club complained about the sound.  I usually
find that being near the stage is never a good idea if you're hoping
for good sound.  The last time I caught them in SF the sound was way
too loud.  Sadly, most sound people think that if you're not driving
the mains into distortion, you're not doing your job.  Keeps me home a
lot.

> I was somewhat distracted by Adrian Belew's disturbing resemblance to
> Mark Knopfler. Hopefully, it was just a trick of the light.

Here's a weird thing.  I used to work with Adrian every day of the week
back in the early 80s while working on Laurie Anderson's Home of the
Brave movie.  (very very nice man, but I digress...)  When seeing KC in
SF a while ago, my wife and I moved to the upper tier of the club to
get less volume and maybe a better view of what was going on.  When who
should appear in front of us.. Adrian Belew.  The weird thing for me
was, he was almost unrecognizable.  Part of it might have been age
coupled with stage makeup.  I also thing that dyed and thinner hair
(which is a trait we both share now!) might have been a factor.  I
thought of the "Paul is Dead" rumor and thought that maybe Adrian had
been replaced with a look-a-like.  I woke up the next morning with a 5
days growth of beard and bad dreams of large gray creatures hovering
over me.  I quickly realized that I hadn't shaved in a while and that
large creature was my cat and that Adrian Belew and I have aged a bit
since 1984.  Though he did look shorter than I had remembered...

> btw. I'm new here so hello all.

Welcome aboard!

Mark Sottilaro