Re: Echoplex, loop IV questions

  Hi Terry, you really ought to take a little time and at least give the
manual a scan, since the plex is an extremely deep box.   -especially with
loop IV, and using midi commands in the way that you've started to do, a
quick read might help out a whole lot. -just a suggestion, of course...

  I'll respond more below, K?   Have a great evening!...

Smiles,

Cara

At 04:29 PM 6/11/03 -0700, you wrote:
>I don't quite get what the difference between rounded
>and unrounded functions is.

  Well, rounding can sort of work a little differently depending on what
functions you're talking about, but in essence, it refers to a cycle
length, and where a function is ended in relation to that.  To get back to
what I said about it being sort of relative, for example, a rounded
multiply, will multiply until the end of a cycle, and allow you to play
live along with it also uhntil the end of the cycle, regardless of when you
again press multiply to terminate the function within that cycle.  An
unrounded multiply will also multiply until the end of the cycle, but will
terminate the overdub when multiply is pressed again to terminate the
function.       The sus application of unrounded multiply, only works for
multiplying and overdubbing while the function is engaged.  -and, it also
redefines a new cycle length in addition.   So it's a little different.
Now, even if you're using rounded multiply, you can still terminate it with
the record function which will end it immediately and redefine the cycle
length.   So this is yet another variation of  multiply.  So, you can see,
the manual is a good idea.   lol!   -and speaking of which, perhaps someone
can correct any of this if my explanation isn't  complete, or incorrect in
some way.   <smile.
I also don't quite get what quantize does on the
>echoplex.

quantize divides a loop into a number of parts depending on how it and/or
eighth is set, and then quantizes functions to that scale.  So if you have
quantize set to eighth and eighth set to 16, then the loop will be divided
into 16 parts, and certain functions will wait to be started and stopped
for the boundries of those parts to be reached.  In other words, if you
were replacing a section of a loop, and were almost at a boundry point, but
pressed replace anyway, nothing would happen until that boundry was
reached, and then you'd be in replace mode, and then if you disengaged the
function, it would again wait until the next boundry point, and then be
turned off.   Does this make sense?

On a drum machine quantize will actually
>correct the timing of the things you play into the
>drum machine. Does the quantize function work the same
>way on the echoplex?

As I mentioned above, in essence, yes, since it changes the timing with
which functions are initiated.

>What is the difference between quantize and switch
>quantize?

Switch quantize refers to the switch between loops.   I'm not sure what
else this parameter effects, but again, perhaps someone else here might be
able to help.
  When you're dealing with switching between loops for example, the switch
quant parameter will take effect.   Say you have it set to loop, and you're
playing loop 1.   You press next loop, to advance to loop 2, and nothing
will happen, since switch quant will cause the  plex to wait until the loop
boundry of loop 1 is reached, and then initiate the switch to loop 2.
Does this make sense?

>It seems that many functions (except record) will act
>as sus functions if you just hold them down.

this isn't the case.

 Is record
>the only function that doesn't become a sus function
>when you hold it down.

You need to set record to sus for it to function that way.

>I recorded in a studio once using a drum machine where
>we recorded a sync track (no drums, just sync code).
>Then I recorded the guitars, bass, keyboards, vocals,
>etc, then wen't back and programmed drum parts which
>locked in perfectly.
>
>I was wondering if the echoplex can send out some kind
>of sync data that you could record onto a track of an
>adat. That would allow you to then go back and sync up
>as many loops as you had tracks available on the ADAT.

Though I haven't used the plex this way, You should be able to send midi
clock out this way.   -Check the manual.   Have a great evening!...

Smiles,

Cara

---

-Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~thefates

Please visit BadFiction and The Guitar Cafe.