SV: echoplex, loop IV, PMC10, questions

Hi Neil and all,

This is how I too like to use my EDP! I also keep a Repeater synced to
the EDP and it will time stretch on the fly and adapt to each new tempo.
Even polyrythmically if I should for example go from 8th/cycle 8 to 12,
by EDP program change.

I also do a lot of substitute/replace insert to crate loops by dropping
in short slices of audio, differently quantised by the 8th/cycle value.
So I tend to play with all 15 EDP programs all the time. The program set
up goes like this:

Program 1-5 is for playing and slicing audio in 4/4.
8th/cycle 4, 8,16, 32, 64.

Program 6-10 is for playing and slicing audio in 3/4 or 6/8.
8th/cycle 6, 12, 24, 48, 96.

Program 11-15 is for playing and slicing audio in 5/4.
8th/cycle 5, 10, 20, 40, 80.

The first program of each time signature bank is unrounded and can be
used to drop in audio slices unquantised to increase the loop length by
each insert ("granular" style). With this program I can also do
unrounded multiply to "truncate" a long loop to a shorter length and
then multiply it to change the loop length by holding down the pedal.

All other four programs of each time signature are equal, except for the
8th/cycle setting. I don't use the Gibson pedal (in fact I just sold it)
since I got a Behringer FCB1010 (shopping for a second one right now).
These are the Echoplex features I'm using by midi and keep instantly
available:

Record, Overdub (toggle), Overdub (unrounded sustain), HalfSpeed,
NextLoop, Multiply, Insert (substitute), Reverse, Undo, Mute.

> Question: is there a way (or what is the best way) to have
> the outbound clock NOT change time when you change the loop
> length in the EDP, while still sending midi clock out?

I have not found any way to achieve that. During the last tour I played
a lot together with Matthias Grob in brother sync and this is indeed a
very cool sync mode! We even had it going with three loopers when Rick
Walker joined in. But you have to stay away from unrounded multiply
(guess that's what you mean by "changing the loop length") to stay in
brother sync.

The closest I ever got is when I was experimenting with HalfSpeed
without changing the outbound clock. The trick here is to assign two
midi commands to the same pedal button: (1) HalfSpeed and also (2)
program change for an identical program except for a doubled 8th/cycle
value. I'm not using this now since it would use up too many midi
controller buttons, since you would also have to dedicate another button
for (1) FullSpeed and also (2) back to the original 8th/cycle value.

I thought this thread was very interesting :-) and I also appreciated
the posts from Andy, Goddess et al....

Best wishes

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se