Re: Steve Tibbets & Torn

Terry,

In a message dated 6/15/03 9:49:39 PM, electricgypsys@yahoo.com writes:

>I saw Steve Tibbett's name on the loopers profiles page.
>I had several of his LPs a long time ago that were
>very very good but I don't think they featured
>looping. Unless it was looped percussion.

As with your David Torn query, just about all of Steve T's
recordings feature substantial amounts of looping.

It is not always "in your face" -- like an obviously repeating
motif in the background -- but it's there in subtle repeating
textures and involves live guitar and/or percussion and
sometimes music concrete textures. You have to see
him play live to really understand what he's doing (looping)
but he's quite adept at it and its seamless integration into
his live "shtick" is evidence of his mastery of it.

Likewise, David Torn has "some" looping on almost every recording
I've ever heard him do (and I believe I have just about everything
he's ever done since his stints with Jan Garbarek and the Everyman
Band on ECM).

Similarly, he doesn't use loopers like some others -- turn the
looper on and play continuously with it 'til the piece is done. The
loopage is used here and there and poses another instrument,
and/or element within the overall composition -- not as the
dominating, defining, essential structural essence of it. Neither
of the artists in question do that.

But a lot of us are guilty of the later. I know I am from time to time.
It's so much fun that it's quite seductive just to noodle and hear
the sounds all come bouncing back at you. It took me a long time
to discipline myself to using it differently. I wouldn't boast to say
I've come very far from that. But I am now, at least, aware of other
possibilities and strive to explore them.

It's actually been by experiencing music from folks like Torn and
Tibbetts live -- and by checking out some of the folks like Andre
LaFosse here on the LD list that has helped my transition from
industrial, ambient, loop noodler to something (perhaps only
slightly) more musical. Heheheh.

tEd ® kiLLiAn

http://www.mp3s.com/tedkillian
http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html