Re: Batt'ries.../laws which discriminate against loopers

--- Jeffrey Lomas <jeff.lomas@oasis-open.org> wrote:
> The DL-4 manual says it has a battery life of 30
> hours.  I think this is
> pretty accurate based on my earlier experiences.

I couldn't find any C's, so I went with the RC-20.

Plusses: it's smaller, longer loop time
Minuses: no half speed, no on-board delay, ugly color

And even with the best intentions of staying as
small/simple as possible, after a short trial run, I
added a volume pedal to the (micro)rig.

Also, as I feared, the little plastic speaker on the
Smokey sounded like crap with the acoustic, so I had
to use the Pignose. (The Smokey actually sounds good
driving a 4x12 cabinet, but that sort of defeats the
purpose...)

I think I'm gonna do it again today with the DL4.

HOWEVER... The thing that complicates it is that
Portsmouth has an ordinance which forbids amplified
busking. I know a guy who used to drag his entire drum
kit out there on the sidewalk and he was within the
law. Technically, a screeching set of highland
bagpipes or a grand piano would be OK, but using a 1
watt amp to play loops at a volume matching the
unamplified acoustic guitar is a no-no. I know the
purpose of the law is to keep the noise down, but it's
frustrating... So, if I go across the bridge to
Portsmouth, I need to stay discreet re: the amp, and
the Pignose, while only the size of a shoebox, was
making me a little paranoid, even though it was
semi-concealed in a little backpack. Plus, the
skeeters had come out by then, so I didn't stay long!

> I don't use it with
> batteries anymore, because I have a tendency to
> forget to unplug it :).

That won't be a problem; I'm not planning on leaving
it in Market Square! :-) (A couple of my electric
guitars have jack-switched active electronics, and
when looping at home, forgetting to unplug *can* be a
problem!)

-t-