Re: Akai Heardush , a little frustrated, please help..

Even if the loop is tapped in time to begin with (the loop may even be
the beginning or foundation of the piece), at some point it's likely
that some drift is going to occur between one or more of the musicians
and the loop.  People can have great time on a human scale, but when it
comes to machines the margins are, of course, inhuman.  I've got a
groove box that allows tap tempo and displays the BPM down to 1/10BPM,
and I find it impossible to reliably match an audible click down to the
dot. And that's when I'm not playing guitar at the same time and trying
to follow several other musicians and operate foot pedals, etc.

Re-triggering doesn't help if the overall tempo has increased or
decreased.  If someone's playing 5% faster than the loop tempo, and the
loop contains specific rhythmic and/or melodic information that the
other musicians are in theory playing "with", then a re-trigger will
only fix things for a very short time.  And if the loop is longer than
a bar, the loop controlling musician may not want to lop off a few bars
to try and chase the tempo of the other musician(s).  Likewise,
redefining loop length won't help, since that only changes the start
and end point, and all the information between will still be out of
sync with the new tempo.

Re-recording the loop on the fly isn't a very workable option if the
loop is multiple bars (say eight) and features multiple layers.  If
it's a loop with three "voices", it'll take twenty-four bars to
re-record all the music, by which time the tempo may have shifted
again, or that part of the piece may have ended.

A sync clock from the other players also wouldn't help in the above
situation, because it doesn't fix the problem of mis-aligned beats
within the loop once the tempo starts shifting.  Unless you had
real-time pitch stretching operating in tandem with the clock chasing.

I'd always wondered how other people used loops in band contexts.  In
my experience, we either all followed MIDI clock, or the loops were
ambient and could be left to freewheel.  But we weren't doing
pre-composed pieces, and in the MIDI clock situation there was no
drummer (all programmed/sampled beats and loops).

And I have a hard enough time finding a drummer with a kit, car and
phone, let alone one who is willing and able to follow a click in live
circumstances.  I'd love to hear from other people who have dealt with
loops in an ensemble situation with pre-composed tunes/songs.

TravisH