Echoplex foot controller sharing?

Has any one used an A/B box to allow one Echoplex foot controller to
control two EDP independently?  I know Dennis Leas built his own
controller with a built-in A/B
(http://www.loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/200110/msg00544.html), but
I'm looking for a commercially available A/B box to allow the same
thing.  Kim said that a passive box would work, but I'm looking for
someone who's actually done this and can provide specific model info or
suggestions.  The archive appears to run pretty dry after this.

So far I've tried a Rapco AB-100, which is a passive ABY (each channel
has its own on/off switch), but when I switch A or B off, it resets the
loop, as if I'd done a long-hold Record push.  I also tried a Whirlwind
Selector, but neither EDP would recognize anything from that box (which
does have some sort of optical switching circuitry, and requires power
to work, so I'm suspecting it's less-than passive).

I don't want to use MIDI for this purpose, and again, I'm not using
them for stereo pairing, so I want total independent control of each
box, one at a time.

Thanks,

TravisH