Re: essential loop recordings

From: "Jim Palmer" <jimp@pobox.com>

    <snip lots of stuff I'm going to look for>

> tabla beat science - tala matrix

    <snip more good listening tips>

> talvin singh - ok

I concur Jim, it's a big Bill Laswell thing going on with the tala matrix,
what a collection of drummers!! The contemporary asian and fusion scene is
great, get your ears around some bhangra, www.dholfoundation.com  or try
the
afrocelts www.afrocelts.com .

Check out the master musicians of jajouka, Talvin did some work there too.
There are certainly loops used in all the stuff we talk about but I don't
know how much is looping?  A lot will be samples I'm sure

> influence is a strange thing, i don't sound like any of these.
> not sure what makes something essential, but i know it when i hear it...

I think musically we are a result of all things we are exposed to, I
suppose
essential in this case to me is something which sparked something in you or
opened a new phase for you.

I was an investigative child and made my first tape loop at about age 10,
just a single loop within the tape cassette but routed around the fixing
screws.  It lasted less than a second IIRC.  I was fascinated with
loopability ever since but was never technologically enabled, I tried
briefly in the early 80s again with congas and a guitar player's FX pedal
but it failed the feedback test.

I first became fully aware of potential looping utilisation, or what I
suspect to be looping, in Eberhard Weber's beautiful 'Pendulum' album,
that's my firestarter and then Rick Walker just needed to push on the half
open door and... I'm here.

I offer pendulum as a contender if it satisfies the looping tag.

Paul

Dha Ge Na Na Ge Na Ge Na
Paul Marshall
Portfolio Sound Artist
http://www.powerhaus.net
http://www.drumdojo.com
http://www.differentdrums.co.uk
NI Facilitator for the Da Capo Foundation
www.dacapo.co.uk
Drumdojo Recommended link For June 2003
Percussion of Persia http://tinyurl.com/ddbg