Re: essential loop recordings

At 10:03 AM 6/25/2003, Dave Trenkel wrote:
>At 4:35 PM -0700 6/24/03, dgoat wrote:
>>

>>1995. David Torn -- What Means Solid Traveller?
>>The pinnacle (IMO) of Mr. Torn's guitar mania. It has yet to be
>surpassed
>>by *anyone*. Looperus-Superiorus.
>
>I find it interesting that no one's mentioned DT's Splattercell::OAH disc
>yet, to me, that's the pinnacle of his work (so far).

it could be because I said to pick albums from the 90's. :-)

One artist could easily be on the list for work they did in different
eras,
since people who were innovative once might continue to innovate and
influence people with new ideas.

It seems to me there is a fairly big difference between David Torn of the
mid-90's and the much more recent stuff like the splattercell:oah album.
They could easily both wind up on the list.

Clearly a lot of people think some DT album from the 90's should end up on
the list. There seems to be a pretty even split between "Tripping over
God"
and "What Means Solid, Traveller?"  Which one? Or should we just put them
both on there?

Can some of you Torn fans write a paragraph for the web site, to explain
what made these albums significant for looping?

>>2000. Bill Frisell -- Ghost Town
>>The looper so transparently integrated into the instrument that it's
>like
>>an extra string. Looperus-Subtleus.

Bill Frisell is another name mentioned very often as an influence by
loopers. It seems like he should be in the essential list for that reason.
What are some other significant looping albums of his? He has obviously
been an influence on people interested in looping for quite a long time,
so
perhaps we can choose an earlier album than one from 2000? Is there some
album of his where the use of looping first really leapt out and people
took notice?

kim