Re: Paul Dresher / Was Re: essential loop recordings

At 11:37 AM 6/26/2003, ArsOcarina@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 6/26/03 10:45:24 AM, improv@peak.org writes:
>
> >Paul Dresher and Ned Rothenberg: Opposites Attract, New World Records
> >1991: I'm not sure how essential this is on the larger scale, since I
> >seem to be the only person to have ever bought this record, but it
> >was certainly a huge inspiration to me. Paul Dresher has done a lot
> >of work with tape-based looping systems.
>
>I'm a big Dresher fan too. I dug his "Liquid and Stellar Music" (1984).
>I had the great privilege of witnessing Paul do this mucic live in the
>small auditorium of the Santa Barbara Museum of Art. Hs method

Paul is a wonderful musician and composer, I've really enjoyed what I've
seen and listened to of his. I think he should be on the "essential" list
too, since a great many people were inspired by his looping in the 80's,
and it seems he really had some innovative ideas. Which album would be a
good choice?

I saw him perform with Joel Davel the other day at the Chapel of the
Chimes* event in Oakland. He played a home made instrument that he also
used for his recent "Sound Stage" theatre show, about a 15 foot long piece
of wood with piano-type strings stretched across and pickups at both ends.
He plays it in various ways - bowed, plucked, hammered with metal rods,
rolling a metal ball down the strings, prepared with rods inserted in the
stings as "frets" etc. It makes an extraordinary sound, with the long
strings giving such rich harmonics and the pickups at both ends getting
different sounds (and pitches sometimes) off the strings. Paul uses three
Echoplexes for loops, set up as a multi-track looper where he controls
them
independently. Joel played the amazing Buchla designed Marimba Lumina,
which is quite a marvel in it's own right. I'm not sure how to describe
the
music and do it any justice. There were very playful moments where both
Joel and Paul played the big stringed thing together, some very textural
moments with loops, and some very rhythmic pieces that had more of a dance
music feel. I think some of them were pieces from "Sound Stage", if any of
you had the opportunity to see that.

(*what a great event that is, 4 hours in the huge, labyrinthine, Julia
Morgan designed Columbarium, with 30 or so new music performers tucked
away
in the various chapels and rooms and nooks and crannies. You just wander
around the building and discover all this fantastic music among the dead
people. Chris Muir from this list played with Henry Kaiser, Pamela Z was
there doing her looped vocal pieces, plus numerous others who I wandered
by
and enjoyed a lot. This event happens each year, and I recommend it to
anybody in the area.)

kim