Re: an essential loop recording of the 90's

At 11:09 AM -0700 6/26/03, Richard Zvonar wrote:
>At 10:33 AM -0700 6/26/03, Dave Trenkel wrote:
>>Paul Dresher and Ned Rothenberg: Opposites Attract, New World Records
>1991
>
>This is actually a rather late recording. Paul's first performances
>with his tape loop system were in 1979 and two years later he was
>using it on tour with George Coates Performance Works. All of the
>music for Way of How (1981) and Are/Are (1982) was performed with
>this system, as were music theater works by the Paul Dresher
>Ensemble starting in 1985.

I'm somewhat familiar (though not as much as I should be) with
Dresher's earlier work, but I thought the point of this was to come
up with looping music from the 90's. And, I think Opposites Attract
stands apart from the rest of his work, at least what I've heard,
because of the avant jazz/funk underpinnings of the band, since the
other musicians on the disc come from the NYC downtown jazz/improv
scene. I've never heard any of his other stuff that has both the
grooves and extreme textures as this, if he has other discs that do,
I'd love to hear them.

Also, when did David Torn's 2 sample discs, Tonal Textures and
Pandora's Toolbox come out? I don't have the discs handy, but I'd
list them as essential loop recordings. They really offer a glimplse
into his technique. I bought them intending to use them for samples,
but could never seem to find anywhere they worked without sounding
like I was trying to rip off Torn. But I love to listen to them, I
have them in my iTunes spool, makes for great shuffle play.