Re: Paul Dresher / Was Re: essential loop recordings

At 2:18 PM -0700 6/26/03, Kim Flint wrote:

>according to his web site (http://www.dresherensemble.org) his 1983
>album "This Same Temple" is reissued on CD. This includes several of
>his pieces for guitar and tape processing. Is anybody familiar with
>that album?

The title cut is a piano duo performed by Nurit Tilles and Edmund
Niemann. This piece was written during Paul's undergraduate studies
at UC Berkeley. It is one of (I think) two pieces subtitled "Elastic
Music" which owe a technical dept to Steve Reich's phase pieces but
which have a more romantic quality. "Liquid and Stellar Music" is for
electric guitar and tape loop system, and was the first piece created
with that combination. "Destiny" adds Gene Reffkin on drums. I'm not
familiar with "Water Dreams" but from the description it seems like
an homage to Paul's teacher Bob Erickson, who used recorded water
sounds on a number of his pieces.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com