Re: essential loop recordings

--- Dan Soltzberg <d.ans@rcn.com> wrote:
> I have to nominate talking heads remain in light  as
> a seminal record .
>
> I've never read up on it, so maybe I'm wrong, but
> the grooves on that album are so tight and
machine->precise that I'm sure they used looped
> phrases to put the songs together.

Two other albums in much the same vein that I've been
listening to ever since their release and have found
very influential on my looping are Brian Eno and David
Byrne's "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" and Byrne's
score to Twyla Tharp's "The Catherine Wheel". If you
like 'Remain In Light', you'll definitely enjoy both
of these.

I'm not sure any of the three use *real-time* looping,
though. I did read an interview a while ago regarding
the approach to sampling on 'Bush of Ghosts' that
talked about how at the time there wasn't much
available in terms of sampling hardware, so a lot of
the techniques they used were sort of creatively
jerry-rigged. Great results nonetheless!

-t-