Re: Eberhard's intonation...

Exactly.

I understand the aesthetics of using the ears to guide note placement on fretless guitars and basses, but it would be ridiculous to expect me to replace an entire fingerboard on a low-cost guitar just to get rid of some lines.

Now on a custom instrument where I actually would have the _choice_ on whether to have fretlines or not... well that is another matter... :)

Paolo

Tim Nelson <psychle62@yahoo.com> wrote:
Also, as has been mentioned, many players have lines
on their fingerboards as residual traces of where
frets once were before being filled. Just as you point
out how it would be pointless for someone who doesn't
look at the markers to have them installed, it would
be equally pointless for that same player to have a
fingerboard replaced just to get rid of the lines.

-t-