Re: MiniDisc suggestions

 > http://www.xitel.com/product_mdpio.htm

from the site:
"It's optical output provides a pure digital pathway for recording from PC
to MiniDisc, while it's analog input allows you to record from the
headphone
output on your MiniDisc back into your computer in high fidelity. "

  Not really a true *2 way digital* system to and from the MD.  you _could_
do the same with the line-in jack on your soundcard.  I have avoided
minidisc completely for two reasons:  really poor sound quality (the
compression scheme just plain sounds really bad to my ears) and there's no
way to get a digital copy out of the device.  This is just plain stubborn
design and I'm not willing to support a company that does that.

Maybe consider a small portable DAT walkman - many of those have 2-way
digital, with an on-board pre-amp which will do the trick nicely. maybe
this
is too expensive though.

Or I have heard that some mp3 players can record .wav files on the fly
(Nomad??) - which sounds pretty cool.
Jon