The Ambient Ping presents Söftware with Toastybird Visuals

THE AMBiENT PiNG   http://www.theambientping.com
Free - Every Tuesday Night - doors open at 9pm - 1st set at 9:30
  @ club nia / C'est What - 19 Church St. at Front St. - Toronto
         3 blocks east of the Union Station subway.
         map - http://www.cestwhat.com/map.html

This Tuesday July 8th - Söftware with Toastybird Visuals

"Period music on period instruments. It's Analogue Only
night at The Ambient Ping featuring Söftware (Paul Asselin -
guitars; plexus - synths/sequencing/loops). Söftware will be
performing this evening's show with instruments from 1984 and
earlier, featuring a newly restored modular synthesizer circa 1977.
Pulsing rhythms, silky swirly sounds & zippy guitar punctuations
dance amid the fury of control voltages, sync pulses and trying to
keep everything in tune. Also featured will be Toastybird Visuals
providing the hypnotizing analogue video projections."
http://www.techno-jazz.com

Between Sets CD - "Bislama" by Alpha Wave Movement & Jim Cole
A beautiful combination of synthesizers, samplers and the
human voice as an instrument. Jim Cole's harmonic overtone
singing could easily be mistaken for creative synth timbres
in this 2001 release. http://www.hypnos.com/artists/awm.htm

Coming Tuesday July 15th 2003 - Xeroid Entity
http://www.xeroid-entity.com

rik maclean's *ping things* CD Reviews

"The Diaphonous Depressions" by Thy Veils

Continuing to work largely in a neo-classical vein Thy Veils has
created another stunning work. The Diaphanous Depressions
is a powerful collection of eastern flavoured songs, each one
more impressive than the last. As a writer, Daniel is able to
expertly build a song around a simple idea or melody and
add just enough to create something growing, changing,
morphing, until it takes on a life of it's own. Hunt at the
Haunted Forest is a particularly strong example of this
idea, using a repeated phrase throughout to achieve a
sense of location and place, while giving a sense of motion
with the use of pumping percussion until the point where
you're there, galloping through the forest. No One's is
another example of the same, where a delicate piano
melody plays overtop a mournful string arrangement and
echoing chimes shimmer in and out of the piece giving
the sense of a fleeting image that dances around our
heads just on the periphery of memory...

Hmmmmmmm, I can see that I'm getting carried away
by the places this album take me to. But that's okay.
As I said earlier, it's no secret that I enjoy the work of
Thy Veils. In addition to creating a very emotive and
very passionate imagery, his compositions are rich,
impressive, and evocative, and are sure to stand out
in your mind long after they're done. Listening to
The Diaphanous Depressions, I'm sure you'll agree...

rik maclean - rik@pingthings.com  -  http://www.pingthings.com
(This month at pingthings an exclusive interview with Mercurine)

Send an e-mail to pingthings-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
for updates on *all* the latest releases on sale at ping things.

The Ambient Ping presents free live performances by Toronto's
finest ambient, chillout and experimental music artists plus
performers from across the continent, every Tuesday at club nia
(aka C'est What) featuring a comfortable lower stage area, perfect
for attentive listening, plus a higher level with a bar, back room
and more seating that's great for conversation, good food and the
club's impressive beer, wine and whiskey selection. Musical treats
are on offer at the *ping things* ambient/experimental CD boutique.
Drop off food at *ping things* for the Daily Bread Food Bank too
and we'll ensure that it gets there. http://www.theambientping.com

Please forward this e-mail to any friends who may be interested
in live ambient, chillout and experimental music performances
or to any of your appropriate newsgroups. Thanks.

To unsubscribe - reply with 'unsubcribe' in the e-mail body.