Re: Rise of the machines

They're actually a bit different.  Your classic drum machine lets you
play one pattern at a time, and chain patterns together to form
"songs".  A pattern can be comprised of various drum/percussion sounds,
but they're all on or all off within the pattern.  You can't mute
individual parts of a groove (high hat, snare, etc).
A lot of groove boxes allow this, which makes them far superior in my
book.  It's like each drum is on it's own track, and you can mute or
solo tracks while maintaining the overall synchronization.  This helps
get rid of that "canned drum machine" feel to some degree.

TravisH