Re: aleatory analogue in the house

Hey Duncan-

I'd say analogue sequencers are loopers... You just described my whole thang- I use analogue sequencers, midi arpeggiators, midi sequencers and some pre-midi digital things, as well as some custom-built midi/cv/midi processors to make my music. I haven't done an audio loop (tape recorders) for many years (start hurling stones at the heretic now, folks!) though I'm starting to want to drop a midi-syncable audio looper on top of all my sequencer stuff. I need more FX in my studio anyway, and it seems I can never have too many delay-based devices.

Audio looper dept: I just got a Roland Space Echo (201) for cheap from believe it or not, an antique mall. The manager saw me buying some odd ethnic instruments and dragged out the 201 and said here ya go. It needs a toggle switch replaced, but otherwise doesn't seem to be 100% right- not much of a delay signal at the output, it's kind of muffled (I don't know anything about Space Echo units!) but if I put some finger pressure on the tape against the head I get good signal. Are there any Space Echo experts on this list? Can someone point me in the right direction for finding out about this machines quirks & appetites? Thanks in advance.

Best,

Tim Fluharty