Re: Buy one EDP, get the 2nd for half price!

on 7/18/03 7:29 AM, Travis at tiktok@sprintmail.com wrote:

> Getting a dual-EDP with calibrated threshhold gates on the stereo input
> sounds like a non-trivial problem, without driving up the cost.
> "Really close" wouldn't cut it after a few loop cycles anyway.  I think
> they'd have to be driven off of the same gate, so there'd be a good
> chance that at least one side would have it's starting audio clipped,
> especially if you were trying to start with something soft.

What you want is both EDPs being in a position to send an "I'm starting now
signal" with the first one to start being the one that starts recording for
both of them. Come to think of it, shouldn't brother sync be able to do
that?

> Problem with putting the EDP on the floor is that it works best after
> all your tone shaping, so if you consider your amp part of this, you
> have to run cables to the amp, into the floor-mounted EDP and back to
> the power amp.  Also, most looping musicians find that floor space is
> at a premium, and the combined footswitch/brain box would take up a
> bunch of room, and there's a lot of people who want to use a MIDI
> controller and don't want to have to pay for a footswitch they'll never
> use and don't want to sacrifice floor space for it either.

The floor unit isn't going to work for everyone. But having to carry around
a rack has its own complexities. My guitar amp is a DG-Stomp so it's on the
floor already. Andre has almost no extra equipment and I could see this
simplifying a setup like his though I think he's using MIDI to the
exclusion
of the footcontroller so he isn't a great example. My understanding was
that
the EDP+ was being packaged with the footcontroller which suggests that
most
people are expected to use that rather than MIDI or to use MIDI in addition
to the footcontroller. It's definitely not a replacement. My point was that
if I were Gibson playing with EDP form factors, I'd probably play with a
floor unit before trying to build a dual unit.

Mark