RE: The doors of perception (was Re: Repeater latency)

At 11:43 AM 7/24/2003, Will Brake wrote:
>But seriously, engineers often don't take all the needs of the end user
>into consideration when they design a product. When it comes to the
>service technician, forget about any serious consideration at all!
>
>It is my sincere belief that every engineer should be required to repair
>a few pieces of gear every so often so they can remember what it's like!

good advice really. They should also have to spend a couple of months on
the customer support line for their own product, listening to the problems
people have. Spend some time buying the components for it. Work on the
manufacturing floor trying to assemble it. Go on field service calls to
see
all the crazy environments where their product is used. Work at a trade
show answering questions about it. Stay involved with it for a few years
see all the ways it fails.

>As far as operation goes, every three months, they should have to slam a
>bottle of <insert you favorite alcohol here> and attempt to operate a
>complex piece of gear for the first time.

Hah! how do you think we design these things?

kim