Re: beck/torn

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey,

In a message dated 7/25/03 8:06:35 AM, Nemoguitt@aol.com writes:

>ted.....this scares me.....if i gave a monkey a guitar and dowloaded the
>sounds into a computer then i could also make him sound like (you fill
>in the blanks).....what andre does is "live".....i liked much about
>david's
>OHA but i came away thinkin "where's the beef" i haven't heard any
>other music by david but when i listened to OHA i came away wanting
>to hear some straight ahead "guitar playing" rather than some
>computer machinations.....

Well, far from being a monkey with a guitar (heheh) I happen to think
Mr. JB is rather good at what he does. I guess I could be wrong though.

And, as much as I am probably a little guilty of being irrationally
gaga over almost anything DT does, I must confess to being very
slightly underwhelmed upon my first listen to his OHA CD too. It took
some "deep" listening for me to get used to it myself and now I really
appreciate what it represents. It's really a shame that it is the only
DT you've heard so far.

There's mucho spicy, spiky beef (in weird sauce) available elsewhere.
But, I am sure others will make you familiar with their favorite Torn
byproducts. I find it hard to pick a favorite myself. I have a perverse
attraction for rare oddities and obscurities. I'd probably list something
no longer in print or worse, hopelessly irrelevant.

What I was trying to convey (perhaps badly) was that, via DT's remixes
of JB's tracks, I sensed the emergence of something **resembling**
the good Mr. LaFosse's EDP mangling and "turntablist guitar" aesthetic
into the wider field of a well known rock "superstar" instrumentalist.

JB's playing is on the track in question still very evident and "beefy."
And, the redoubtable DT's own stamp and sensibilities are eminently
present as well. But, I was rather excited to observe (upon hearing it)
how much the JB + DT combination actually sounded (to these ears)
like what Andre has been driving at for the past few years.

That's all.

tEd ® kiLLiAn

http://www.mp3s.com/tedkillian
http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html