More midi loopers

Mark,  Every time the subject of midi loopers comes up, someone mentions
the MC-505.  The 505 is NOT a midi looper, at least not the sort that
the EDP or Repeater is.  One of the members of this list (who will go
unnamed) waxed so rhapsodic about the 505 for live looping that I bought
one; it sits unused.  The things that makes loopers work for me, is the
ability to hit record, play a phrase or a whole song, hit stop, and
thereby define the loop length and tempo.  The Repeater even has the
great feature of letting you dial in the tempo settings *after* you
record the loop.  The 505 requires that you set a loop length and tempo
before recording, and then forces you to play to the metronome.  For my
money, this is not looping.

What I really want is a stand-alone midi recorder (NOT PC-based!!!!)
that lets me punch in/out, tweak tempo settings, pitch, etc (all the
basic Repeater functions), and has a 4 (or better yet, 8) track mixing
console (this *is* one feature of the 505 that shines).  The ideal box
would have user-controllable decay (probably implemented as changes to
note velocity) on overdub.  I sure would love to have one of these !!!

Elby