RE: midi looper

> now let me bring up a couple of neat ideas that make a
> midi looper a cool idea:

To the ones Jon mentions, I would add:

* easy algorithmic processing on the looping data (e.g.
  a simple fractal algorithm on a small phrase produces
  lots of complexity)
* Forcing tonality on the notes, adjusting them to a particular scale
* Forcing atonality (adding slight randomness to pitches)
* Filter half the notes out, making it less dense and
  new rhythms emerge
* Convert some of the notes into chords
* etc.

It's different than audio, and there are pros and cons.
I'm a happy MIDI looper, but I can't say I've explored even
a small fraction of what you could do.  I tend to combine
looping with exploration in controllers and other things.  See:

        http://nosuch.com/images/bm2003

for a description of what might be the biggest looping
instrument in the world.  (I doubt that it is, but it'll be interesting
to hear about the bigger ones.)  Come to Burning Man and check it out!

    ...Tim...