Re: mac G5 -- what's the word?

I may apply the same philosophy to Handspring Treos.  Been looking to replace both my 4-yr old PDA and 4-yr-old cell phone with one of those, especially after the newest Treo model comes out.  Either way, I hope to be one of the first to play a gig with a mobile phone. ;)

In deciding to get my G4 instead of waiting for the G5s to come out, I examined my needs.  Since I'm just starting out on sequencing and digital audio on the Mac, I couldn't think of a scenario within the next 12 months where my requirements would exceed the capabilities of a dual-1.42 GHz processor G4.

I've been avoiding pre-OSX apps/plugins in my search for softsynths to use with Numerology.

Paolo

msottilaro <sine@zerocrossing.net> wrote:
This is what I've found as well. I'm always of the mind to buy the top
of the line (or close to it) AFTER Apple announces a new model line.
One of the main reasons I bought the Mac that I did when I did was
because I found out it was the *last* of the Macs that would boot into
OS9. While that's not a bad thing for most, I have a few apps that I
know won't ever be ported to OSX and will not run correctly (or at all)
in "Classic."

On the other hand, with the G5's seemingly amazing increase over the
G4, it might be worth a little bit more to get the best. Apple says
the G5 will trounce any Pentium (it's about damn time). Here are the
benchmark results:

http://www.apple.com/powermac/

Mark
On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 11:58 AM, Paolo Valladolid wrote:

> Last I heard, the G5 will not be available until August, though
> considering today's date, this may not be that great an issue anymore.
>
> I don't know who told you the G4 costs more.  I just got a
> dual-processor G4 with 120GB RAM, 512GB HD at a good discount because
> somebody bought it then returned it to the Apple store within days of
> the G5 announcement.  G4s nowadays should be selling for at least $300
> less than the nearest-priced G5 model.
>
> Paolo
>

> jimfowler wrote:
>
> just curious...i'm a pc user and need a good excuse to get a mac...so
> i'm
> wondering what the word is on the G5. it seems to me that the G4 is
> still
> going for more than the G5.
>
> -jim
>

> Do you Yahoo!?