Re: Dangerous (learning) curves (was Fast & Trashy, Slow and Chaste)

Hi,

Andre has some really great points. These are things that I've noticed
also. I live in two musical worlds; I play traditional Japanese music on
a traditional Japanese flute (a shakuhachi, for those who care) and I
compose/play/perform my own music on various electronic instruments
(modular synths, keyboards, processed gongs, drum machines and
other devices, including a pair of EDPs). I've played the shakuhachi for
over ten years now and love the sound of the instrument. I never loop it
nor do I process it (I lied here, sometimes, if I record it I'll use a
little reverb
for ambience). I like to leave it that way, it is such a joy just to
take it out
of the case and begin to play (no set up, no electricity, no 60Hz hum to
deal with, no hiss, no noise). I can concentrate directly on the music.
In
the other world, the world of electronics, it's exactly like Andre
says; it's
a big slow process that takes a lot of concentration to pay attention to
everything that is going on. I play in an electronic music ensemble
(i.e.
with other people) so that just adds to the things that demand my
attention
while performing ("mental fatigue" sets in quickly).

In the electronic world, I am very guilty of adding or subtracting gear
my rig constantly. I'm always looking for interesting new sounds and
ways
of making them. In the world of the shakuhachi, I own three instruments
(of different lengths) but usually I only play one of them (I've had
that
instrument for the ten years I've been playing).

Both worlds have their frustrations but the electronic world is the one
that
causes the "mental fatigue".

I'm rambling, but basically I'm agreeing with what Andre LaFosse had to
say,
and adding another data point to his observations.