Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 4:59 AM
Subject: Re: Dangerous (learning) curves (was Fast & Trashy, Slow and Chaste)

>The main impetus for having the big rigs tends to be a desire for lots
>of different sounds, and wanting to be able to access a wide variety of
>different textures.
>
>But isn't it interesting how some people will spend decades playing
>"just" a piano, or a tabla, or their own voice, and find ongoing
>inspiration and freedom within the confines of "one sound"?

Excellent points. I'm struggling with a related question, if anyone
cares to offer some advice.

I'd like to add a nice synth to my rig--and I don't even play
keys--but I'd like to learn. In the meantime, I'd use its rather
massive sequencing capabilities of by employing it as a kind of
musical scratch pad--both for practice with my guitar and for
composing tunes.

I wanted to get a Yamaha Motif 6. But then I found out that there is
a newer, bigger, better, more powerful version, the Motif ES 6, that
will be available shortly. I figured that surely the regular Motif 6
would do all that I wanted from a synth and then some. But after
looking over the ES 6's specs, I have a nagging feeling that I would
regret not getting the latest, greatest upgraded product. For one
thing, it has 128 note polyphony. The regular Motif has 62 poly. The
ES has new(er), upgraded voices, and a host of other features.

Does anyone here use a Motif? If so, would you care to advise me on
which one to purchase?

Thanks,

Jeff