Re: EDP loop technique question

No, you couldn't do exactly what you're describing below with just one
EDP, particularly if you're looking to do it as a seamless performance.
  With the way the EDP stores overdubs or "layers", you can't get rid of
earlier stuff and leave the later stuff (via Undo or clever copying of
loops and switching between them to simulate muting on mixing desk).
You could do something like this:

With number of loops set to 4
Record the instrumental section in loop 1.
Copy loop 1 to loop 2, overdub the vocal part
Turn off the copy sound parameter for loop copy, go to loop 3 and
re-record all the vocals, sans guide track.
Overdub new parts on that vocal loop (on loop 3, or copy the vocals to
loop 4 and overdub on that so you maintain a clean version of the
vocals to return to later), then switch between the four loops for the
effect you've described.

However, this wouldn't allow you to do it as a seamless performance,
and I think that's what you're trying for.  With just one EDP you're
limited to a "linear" form of loop construction: you can build things
up, remove subsequent layers, or wipe everything, but you can't erase
earlier stuff without touching later stuff except in a limited manner
via feedback.  Turning down the feedback does this in a gradual manner,
but it would probably be sort of clumsy for the scenario you've
described.

My personal unimplemented EDP feature is "feedback tap", so you can set
the number of repeats to precisely 2, or 3 or 4, but each at 100%.
Previous layers wouldn't get quieter and vanish, they'd stay at full
level and then totally disappear when they expired.

TravisH