Re: Hardware vs. software etc... (Re: £900!!!!!!!!!!!)

On Saturday, August 23, 2003, at 12:09 PM, Andre LaFosse wrote:

> On the other hand (and at the risk of over-simplifying), people who
> don't dig the EDP are generally looking for "more" options - more
> audio channels, more tracks within a given loop, more memory -
> basically, a "bigger" and "broader" general universe of possibilities.
>  The more subtle (and unique) aspect of the Echoplex - and the VERY
> deep and broad world of possibilities within that particular world -
> don't seem to be much of an issue for these folks.

I thought about this a bit, and I'm not sure you're 100% right about
wanting a broader feature set.  Maybe more automation could be cool.
Imagine a random insert function.  Could be fun.  On the other hand,
since unlike Andre, a lot of my sound sources are stereo, I just want a
decent midi synced stereo looper.  I've often remarked that the JamMan
feature set in 24bit stereo would be heaven for me.  Sometimes you want
a Swiss Army knife, sometimes you want a dagger.  While I'm impressed
with what Andre does with Loop4 I know that most of it isn't for me.  I
think I want something in between a full featured Swiss Army knife and
a dagger.

I'm also a product of being spoiled by cheap electronics.  Back in the
day during my time working for Laurie Anderson I was in awe and wonder
of the technology around me, including getting to work with Adrian
Belew's rig.  It was also depressing to realize that it was all so
beyond me.  I couldn't even imagine owning a 16 bit 24 track digital
recorder, yet I'm typing this on one right now.  I forgot what the Sony
3224 was selling for in those days (it was what Home of the Brave was
recorded with) but it was astronomical by todays standards and took up
the space of a dishwasher.  Matthias is right about being amazed every
day about the technology around us.  It's an amazing world we live in.
My good friend Keith loves to tell the story about having to be bonded
when he first bought 16 bit a/d converters because they were military
electronics.  Now you can buy them at Radio Shack.

But enough of this, "when I was your age" crap.  I'm not mad that the
EDP in stereo would cost me $1600.  I'm mad that I live in a world
where not enough people think it's a worthy piece of gear to own to
make it worth mass producing it so I can get two for $800.  I know the
grief that Matthais and Kim went through to get this tool manufactured.
  I respect that.  However, imagine a world where you could buy a rack
mounted box that would run any VST instrument... well you don't have
to.  We're here.  Plugzilla.  It's new and expensive.  I hope the idea
hits though.  Imagine if Matthais could give the finger to Gibson and
just write software for the VST standard and then consumers could buy
the box of their choice with the specs they need.  I would imagine
Plugzilla doesn't have any latency issues like PCs using USB would.
Maybe I could run 6 concurrent EDPs in their software form if I wanted.
  Maybe 1 and a chorus and a killer reverb.  You get the idea.  I know
there's already a keyboard that kind of works in this realm too.
Roland is marketing it's VariOS.  It's got to be the way things go.
Could be really cool.  I'm sure I'll just be cranky then and say things
like, "I miss the nice heft and volume of my good old 6 space SKB
rack..."

Mark Sottilaro