Re: Stereo EDP

On Sunday, August 24, 2003, at 05:55 PM, Travis wrote:

> But, if you can't stand it, you can't stand it.  Still, I don't think
> $1600 for stereo EDPs is that much, if you're seriously making music
> in a commercial context.

Ah, here in lies the point.  Commercial context.  I have no desire to
try and turn my art into money.  Tried to do it before and only became
sad and angry.  I loop pretty much for me.  If I can find people who
enjoy it, that's great, but I'm not counting on it to pay the bills.

So, what I'm saying is that I am typical, not the professional
musician.  I think Rick Walker might be the closest person here to
making their living doing looping, and I know he has to supplement that
with lessons and more standard fare in his shows.  The reason I don't
balk about my Photoshop license (of course this wouldn't be the forum
anyway) is because I do make a living using that tool.  My music only
costs me money.  I'm not complaining, I like it this way.

When I bought an amp from some college kids, I saw they both had DL4s
and we started talking about looping.  They were really interested in
learning about different looping devices.  At the time the Repeater was
still in production.  I told them about the Repeater and the EDP and
when I hit them with the price tags, they both looked deflated.  They
had blown their cash on nice instruments and amps, and didn't have much
left over for a looper that was between $600 and $800.

Mark Sottilaro