Re: Stereo EDP

What, are you on drugs?  Demoted to esoterica is dead in my book.  Hard
disk recording didn't kill tape?  It sure did.  When was the last time
you saw a tape based looper in a store?  When was the last time it was
manufactured?  Sure, there will be die hard people who will still hold
on to old technology, but as a mainstream thing it will be gone.  I
can't remember when the last time I saw a cassette for sale.  Vinyl is
dead to most consumers and only pressed for DJs who still cling to it
because of it's certain characturistics.  Guess what?  I'm reading more
and more DJ publications where hard core vinyl fans are moving to the
digital side due to new CD decks like the Pioneer CDJ1000 and the Denon
DN-S5000 which give all the flexibility of vinyl with the ability to
burn a CD with anything you want in it and not have to lug crates of
vinyl around to each gig.

The Pod may not have killed the tube amp, but I'm sure it's made a dent
in it's hull.  Fender and Vox are making virtual tube amps.  I use a
Johnson and I love it, dare I say, almost as much as my Ampeg.  Virtual
tube emulation is still new, give it time.  I'm sure it will make tube
gear less and less viable for many manufacturers.

Will DJ Spooky be selling all his vinyl soon?  Not likely.  From a
manufacturer's point of view it's mostly dead though.  We could argue
for days about the merits of old technology, and there are many.  Some
resurface, like analog synthesis.  However, lots of people look at the
new Moog synth with it's wood sides and say, "I'll take the Korg MS2000
for 1/5 the price of the Moog thank you."

BTW, They Might Be Giants use a wax cylinder recorder on one of their
songs.  Pretty cute.

Mark Sottilaro (who'd pay $200-$300 for a software looper that did what
he wanted)