real-time midi looping

I'm looking for a Max patch that does quick realtime
looping. What I want it to do is-
you play in a short phrase. It gets looped, based on
the tempo/time signature snd keeps doing so until you
play more notes. The notes you play will overwrite the
notes currently at that space. Does that make sense? I
got this idea from using Reason. I like the
overdub/replace modes it has, but I wish you could set
it to only replace the notes you're playing over, and
not all of them.
My DX200 also does something exactly like what I'm
talking about when it's in record mode. The problem
there is that it's only 16 steps long. I'll figure out
how to do it in Max eventually, but I'm learning it
just for this idea (and others in the future of
courrse) so I'd appreciate some tips.

Gabe