RE: slightly OT -- headphone recommendations?

> From: Gene Ehrbar [mailto:gene@anomalyinc.com]
>
> Hi all;
>
> I'm looking to upgrade from consumer-grade headphones, and am
> interested in
> a pair versatile enough for DJing, monitoring during band practice (loud
> rock and roll), and late-night (let's not wake the house up) studio
> monitoring at home.  Anyone have any recommendations?

For a long time I used AKG K-270's which are a nice (and VERY
comfortable!).
But lately I've been liking the Beyerdynmic DT-250 (80 ohm version). It's a
closed-type design which is good for recording, or excluding outside noise.
It's one of the few phones I've found that have a good punchy bass, without
having the bass so hyped that the rest of the mix is distorted. If you
really need mega-bass then get the Beyer DT770's, but the DT250's are the
best compromise I've found. Not too expensive... about $143 street. The
earpads are a little small if you have big ears, otherwise they're pretty
comfortable for long sessions.

If you need super accurate and transparent-sounding phones, then the gold
standard is Sennheiser HD600's. I use those for listening to music, and
they're outstanding (if a little shy in the bass). But they're an open
design, so they leak too much for tracking. For music production,
practicing
guitar with my rack setup, etc.... I like the Beyer DT-250's.

Mike Barrs