Re: new lingo

Perhaps there is a musical analogue to this - improvising musicians
often tend to unconsciously fall back on repetitive patterns (nothing
to do with looping), which are 'tried and tested' i.e. confortable
idioms, riffs, chord structures etc. I would suggest that this is the
musical equivalent of verbal filler - phrases like 'now what I mean',
and another one which I've noticed recently in UK 'yeh, no' preceding a
statement...

I went to see Robert Fripp play at the Purcell Rooms in London a few
years back. He was playing for free in the foyer, so I went for 2 days
running. The thing that hit me most was that he managed to almost
completely avoid the standard riffing and cliche that is so much part
of a musicians language. He did start playing what could loosely be
called a standard 'guitar solo' over one loop, but it was a momentary
lapse. It takes a lot of  discipline to avoid this kind of stuff, both
verbally and musically.

Paul