Re: evangelize EDP please

Paul Greenstein wrote:

> Thought I would throw my own feelings about the Repeater back into the
> ether:
>
> I have a Repeater already, but am considering getting an EDP as well.
> My feeling was (and this has been reinforced by some of the writings on
> this mailing list, both technical and conceptual) that the EDP has more
> depths in terms of the possibility of random musicality. One of  the
> ways I use the Repeater is to record a musically straightforward, even
> 'pretty' loop of indeterminate length. I then flip out of overdub mode,
> and start to insert material, gradually breaking down the structure of
> the piece, taking it in mostly unpredictable directions.
>
> It looks like the EDP would lend itself more to this kind of approach,
> (I assume) due to features like Insert/Divide etc. My understanding (am
> I wrong?) is that the EDP will quantise insertions to the beat, which
> would obviously make it easier to create a 'musical' effect (which may
> be desirable from time to time).
>
> Paul
>
> On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, at 04:31  pm, Greg House wrote:
>
> > --- Lance Chance <lrc8918@louisiana.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Not to be argumentative, or to discourage anyone from getting an EDP
> > (which
> > sounds like a great unit), but you make some statements about the
> > Repeater which
> > I don't understand.
> >
> > You mentioned the easier foot pedal setup. Well, yeah. The EDP has a
> > dedicated
> > foot pedal that you buy pre-configured. It doesn't get much easier
> > then that.
> > With the Repeater, you have to use a midi controller, which means
> > programming it.
> > That's always going to be more complicated. However, I've noticed that
> > many of
> > the more advanced users of the EDP also use a midi controller with it,
> > to make
> > more options and more control immediately available. The difficulty of
> > programming a midi controller will be about the same whether you're
> > controlling a
> > Repeater or an EDP, so I don't really see this as a big advantage.
> >
> > And yes, while you can buy that simple dedicated foot controller for
> > the EDP,
> > they charge you almost as much for this basic metal box (which
> > consists of just 7
> > switches and a handful of resistors) as you might pay for a nice
> > Behringer MIDI
> > foot controller, which is infinitely more versatile.
> >
> > Now, I -really- like the fact that you can plug an expression pedal
> > directly into
> > the EDP and control feedback (and other parameters?). That's a really
> > nice
> > feature.
> >
> >>   i find the repeater more
> >> difficult to use in a studio environment, where it's stutters and
> >> fluttery
> [...]

Yes the EDP does Quantise insertions to the beat.  I use this feature all
of
the time.  I create short random ostinatos by creating an empty one bar
loop
and then playing notes from a particular scale while tapping on the insert
button.  After a few passes, the EDP will spit out a really cool ostinato
in
the key that I'm playing.  I'll then change the start point of the loop to
where it feels naturally at the one, and overdub a short drum beat(by
tapping on my acoustic guitar).  I'll often then multiply that out and lay
down a 4 to 8 bar bass line underneath that ostinato.  This has become a
staple of my live performance.  Fun, fun, fun!

John
www.johnmazzarella.com