boom er ranger

loopists

obBoomerang:

love mine, it's the whole show. well... i do play a headrush in the
backfield, but the boomerang (2nd gen) takes the front line all the way.
in
a live-performance context, it's the disney magic at my shows.

however - while working on my current record we discovered that it's
firmly
on the noisy side. especially when it's not "doing anything" at the
moment,
it cranks out a bit more than its fair share of hiss. so we've been
reconfig'g my setup for each overdub using ONLY what's engaged for each
one
& that means pulling the boomerang out of the chain for many o/d's.

on the other hand - since my live setup involves running a ton of
stompboxes into boomerang & then out to a dual showman, the hiss from the
boomerang is all part of the general melee and not a problem. it's just in
the closer scrutiny of the recording context that we discovered that
several tracks of stacked up boomerang layers had the sibilance factor
getting out of hand. striking the boomerang from the setup on the tracks
where it wasn't being used more than made room for the bit of hiss it
issues on the tracks it appears on, and its charms more than outweigh the
curses on those.

my $.02
a:c