Re: music and freedom

On 03-11-09 19.51,  "Robin Haas" <rob@robinhaas.com> wrote:

> http://apnews.myway.com/article/20031109/D7UN3AM00.html
>
> I certainly realise this is not a political email forum, but I could not
>help
> but relate the above short article on someone in Hungry stating that rock
> music (and presumably other forms of music) helped bring down communism
>(or
> repression of thinking from their viewpoint).
>
> Music has a way of bringing freedom of thought to the listner, by its
>freedom
> of personal expression by the performer. Sub and unconsiously, music
>appeals
> to an individual finding other starting points to what may be their own
> limited thinking. In this time of a curtailment of freedoms, music has in
> important service to perform in helping people to keep the faith in
>their own
> liberated spirit.... Music is a great metaphor for freedom and
>creativity.
> Rock on, loop on, sound on, etc!!!!

I was just going to write something like "Yes, definitely - but music can
also imprison the listener into the most rigid and sinister form of
conservatism"... But then I had a second thought and wasn't so sure any
more. I know the feeling by instinct but exactly WHAT is it that makes
great
music great? I guess it's more about attitude and expression than about
musical styles? But one thing I know for sure is that great music always
tends to turn out subversive in a political sense.

Looking forward to see what others have to say in this thread :-)

--
Best wishes

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se