Re: Opening new avenues for looping

>Hi all,
>
>I layed a regular musicians night last night,did a little acoustic
>set, then someone noticed i had my DL-4 tucked away in my gig bag.
>  after a bit (a lot) of encouragement, i got up and performed a very
>paired down looped set..........they loved it.
>
>this is the deepest carlisle (imagine the sort of place you might
>have to sit to write lord of the rings.......grass,sheep, cold winde
>etc) surrounded by old school wannabe folk singers, and all of a
>sudden im fielding a disscussion forum on looping!!!!it felt quite
>absurd.
>  Im actually going back in a few weeks to give a little surgery
>style run down on live looping, which is one of the biggest honours
>ive ever been asked to do.

Great!
I have not been following the list for a while.
are people still banned here when they say that live looping is
something that exists, whatever it is? :-)

>  Anyways, all of this got me thinking,out of all of the people who
>were crowding round me at the end of that session , only one was a
>guitarist, and he had never come across any loop based device.
>  Is it possible that we (or more impportantley the device
>manufacturers) could do so much more for Looping (and other kinds of
>effects/manipulation) if they slowly started to introduce the idea
>to music shops that effects and loopers can be applied to almost any
>instrument and that they arent the exclusive relm of guitarists.

definitally! I met more non guitarist lately: voices, accordeon,
flute, percussion, and bass, more bass than guitar... its because you
can better play melody on the bass than bass on the guitar - unless
you have a clever octave thing like Polysubbass :-)

>  I dont know what others have experianced, (in fact please write in
>and say) but I have always had to look around the guitar department
>for and effect i wanted to buy.

the point is rather the pick up style than the instrument kind: you
are so much better off if you dont need a microphone... exept for the
voice which is easy...
but there are pickups available for most instruments today!

>  Last night for example there was a violinist who had wanted fr
>years to perform siple threepart pieces alone accompanying herself,
>but had never even thought of looking in a guitar shop for a looper.

I bet he did not have a pick up either. The step to go electric -
even if its just with a close mic - is so much bigger than to start
looping...
Usually the violinist go into the guitar department after they get a
pickup - or probably thats the first time they go in there, anyway :-)
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org