thoughts on building community in the Live Looping scene

Really nice comments, Steve!!!

You wrote:
"not at all. An individual might not like what they think it represents in
terms of the elavation of gear to headline status, but you've made it work,
Rick (though I have a suspicion that with your unhuman levels of
commitment,
enthusiasm and positivity you'd be able to make a 'midgets juggling turds
festival' work - you're a whirlwind, my dear fellow :o)"

I'm sorry but I just can't get the image of a MIDGETS JUGGLING TURDS
FESTIVAL
out of my mind.....................gosh,  that cracked me up.

I also appreciate your very sweet and generous comments about what I've
accomplished in Santa Cruz, although I must
admit that I felt a little nervous having so much attributed to my work.
The mention of my name several times in your letter
made me squirm (but in that nice way of being singled out in third grade,
self conciously for having written a good paper).
 I have worked hard but I only worked for a community full of people who
I've grown to love and admire and be inspired by.
To carry the metaphor above further <chuckling>  'You can't polish a turd'.

  I, agree, though, Steve with your assessment and do  think it is true
that
there are ususally scenes around hard working ambitious people who are
community oriented like Hans Lindauer, Peter Koniuto,  Massimo Liverani,
Os,  Matt Davignon, Jon Wagner,  Per Boysen,Leander Reininghaus and Andreas
Willers  but I really saw incredible potential on my summer looping tour
for
the active building of this community so that it might have a viable
economic presence someday in the  musical world.    Massimo Liverani has
become a powerhouse with the Italian Live Loopers Guild and Officine
Chromain Florence since the first fantastic festival that he produced this
past summer.  He just totally inspires me and I hope that all the Italian
loopers
get in touch with him about playing the events that he is promoting
currently.

Also,  the town I live in has a large part to do with some of the moderate
success that looping has had and that is down to the people.
I counted the other day and there are 19 live loopers who perform
occasionally in Santa Cruz.  Out of a population of 50,000 people that's
pretty cool,
but it is not unique.   I was really impressed, for example, by the
diversity and high quality of the looping communities in Florence, Berlin,
Cambridge
and Lucerne and feel like there is the potential for a lot of growth in
other communities that I visited as well.

The fact that we are talking in this way is a good sign and I think the
scene that is being created can incorporate everyone from those who believe
in it
as a scene to those who think that looping shouldn't be singled out as
anything more special than any other tool.

I got out the poster for the first Bass Looping Festival the other day
(which was the first such show that I ever produced, merely as an excuse to
get you a gig in Santa Cruz, Steve..........lol)  and I just smiled and
marvelled at how far we've come since then.

It's been a pleasure, for the most part, I have to
say.......................even agreeing with Andy's comments that all
publicity is bullshit, isn't it.............lol

rick