HuMaNiZiNg cold DRUM MACHINES

I would like to know how many of us loopers are
utilizing drum machines live.Some people shy away from
them because they tend to sound sterile and
repetitive, others sequence the patterns so they donīt
sound so repetitive but i find a lot of people still
find this live "not very authentic"...
I had a lot of fun playing with Rick and watching him
syncronize his voice drum loops to mine, he is
brilliant at building organic drum loops with his
voice, utensils etc. but at the same time i enjoy
hearing Claude Voits drum machine syncronized pattern
changes triggered by the EDP.
I tend to just let a drum loop run from my Boss dr 660
and constantly record new loops into the EDP, using it
simply more like a backing track but i would like to
use it more intuitively and make it more spontaneous
to my  live loop improvisations.
so i would like your
opinions,techniques,recomendations is a sampler better
than a groove box ? or a drum machine? Which ones
work well with the EDP and how do you employ them
live?
Louie