CD Review Spam: "Normalized" reviewed by Ink 19

Some good and some bad in this one, but if nothing else I get a huge
grin out of the first sentence.

-----------------------------------
Andre LaFosse
Normalized
Altruist Music

http://www.ink19.com/issues/january2004/musicReviews/musicL/andreLafosse.html
by Van Sias

Hey, wait a minute. This doesn't sound like Tom Morello!

Andre LaFosse refers to his musical style as "Turntable Guitar," so when
I heard that, I automatically thought of the ex-Rage Against the Machine
and current Audioslave guitarist who it seems can make any kind of sound
with a six-string.

But while Morello blends rock and hip-hop, LaFosse -- as evidenced on
his second disc, Normalized -- wields his ax like a DJ manning the
wheels of steel at your neighborhood techno club, which, I have to say,
isn't always a good thing here.

LaFosse's style is to take a guitar, his own ability and a digital
looper to create these sounds. And while technically amazing -- getting
behind the fact that someone is doing so much of this with a guitar is
something else -- I feel that there are some holes in the disc
music-wise, a lot of which can be traced to the love affair he has with
electronic looping.

Remember waaay back in the day when the needle on your old Fisher Price
record player would get stuck on your Sesame Street album, and "C Is for
Cookie" would keep repeating? That wasn't a fun experience. Or now, when
a CD gets stuck. That sucks, right? I can handle it in small doses, but
too much of it gets pretty irritating.

Some tracks do have more of an organic feel, though, which I consider
the stronger songs. "Deject" has bluesy riffs layered over the
glitch-work. The title track, "Normalized," sounds pretty... normal,
with stellar guitar work shining through.

I do give credit to LaFosse for being a true artist; his ability to
arrange using unconventional means can be likened to that of musical
revolutionaries like Frank Zappa or Miles Davis.

And I'll admit: I would check LaFosse out live to see how he makes this
all come together. Hopefully, I'd be able to make it through the show.

And I'll admit: I would check LaFosse out live to see how he makes this
all come together. Hopefully, I'd be able to make it through the show.

(See? Wasn't that irritating?)