Re: Improvising vs. composing

On 04-02-01 06.30,  "Dan Soltzberg" <d.ans@rcn.com> wrote:

Sorry for reposting on this topic, but I forgot some details.

> Problem is,
>1. Itıs kind of intense to go to every show having no idea of
> what Iım going to play, hoping the muse is on the guest list

Right! This is not so different from a gig with pre structured, or
composed,
music. Uninspired makes dull, always. It's just that a lousy gig with
composed music might still sound a bit like "music" to untrained ears.

And as an improvising performer it's harder to cheat when you have a bad
night. But the more you play the more you also understand that the
listeners
do not experiencing your music the way you expect them to. In fact you may
think that you are having a lousy gig but out there listeners in the
audience can find it extremely uplifting. You just can't read others
exception while you are playing. When you start out an improvisation you
have to understand that you let go of all control. It is indeed a method to
put oneself in situations where you loose control and have to rely entirely
on instinct. A trick to achieve innovation.

> 2. Itıs hard to bring other musicians in without having at least some
> structure.

There are also musicians that take interest in totally improvised music and
then there shouldn't be a need for providing structure. I think a more
usual
problem is to manage to stay away from forming structures when improvising
with other musicians. Everyone really have to listen fully all the time and
be prepared to throw his own riffs right down the garbage drain if needed.

Best regards

Per Boysen
--
Public Music Beta Testing http://www.looproom.com/p2p/