Even More Slash....

>>What does Slash have to do with looping? really.

Good point.... I guess it had as much to do as the original article on
Gibson LPs did...??

For me - it's been a great discussion, because so far I've seen so many
different sides of what people think... Which I greatly respect and i'll
take to my next solo basement loopfest tonite..And I've seen [again...sigh]
how musical sectarianism just WILL NEVER DIE... Most jazzbos think rock
sucks... most bluegrass fans like their music entirely unplugged, most
metalheads disdain ambient music, most loopers dis some of the music they
'liked' before they knew better..fusion fans look down their noses at
anything 'simple'....and most classical fans hate the whole lot...!! OF
COURSE I'm generalizing.. But I carefully used the word MOST - and I'm
sorry
but

C'mon folks... How many Slash interviews have you read, really...?? It
sounds (from what some have said) that you were not AT ALL interested in
what GnR was doing... I wasnąt a huge fan.. But I read my share of
interviews and for sure - Slash - like anyone - would speak about
guitarists
he dug...

And to attack him for ripping off Page etc....sheesh....

I guess NO ONE on this list EVER sounds at all like Frisell, Fripp, Belew,
Eno, Schulze, Torn, Keller, Jaco, Brooks or any other well known musician
who work with loops or sequences.......?

I for one have NO PROBLEM with the fact that I'll be playing live or
recording.. And say to my inner self.."gee - there's your Belew
influence..." so what??? There's NO NEW MUSICAL MATERIAL.... Check out some
Raymond Scott -- what really has been done NEW in electronic music since
the
late 50s.....?? Music is like genetics... No one EVER has new genes.. Yet
we
are all different. The basic material in all the music we ALL do has been
here for a while -- the beauty, like genetics - is that we can all come up
with some of the BILLIONS of possible combinations.....

C'mon/ Let your hair down!! Slash played a couple fun songs --
Sometimes...we shouldn't let it mean more than that! He ROCKED.. They had
some cool riffs.. Kids got pysched.. Jeez -- some kids may have even
decided
to BECOME MUSICIANS thanks to Slash.. Or even Britney !! Can we really be
bummed about that?? We're all gonna die- why stress it!??!

Anyway - here's my LOOPING RELATED tip (actually ,my whole post is)..

GEAR ALERT... Musicians friend is blowing out the ALESIS effects units
($49.95!!!) from 2002.. Remember the BITRMAN...PHILTRE....METAVOX etc???

These are bitchin soundin' effects... They came out at $150 or more.. And
are great interactive little toys...search 'bitrman' or 'metavox' or
'philtre'

Here's the metavox;
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040203124629067072144124267533/g=hom
e/search/detail/base_pid/182527/

I tried the bitrman...brilliant!! Compression, distortion, a dual phasor,
and some cheezy ring mod, frequency mod and shift, and my fave - a 'bit
reducer' that shreds your sound down to garbage.... Useful on drums etc.

I dunno - I know there's software out there that does all this - I try to
look for this oddball cheapskate stuff... Hey it's fifty bucks!!

LOOPS AWEIGH!!!!