Re: Even More out of tune

asterion@hell.com wrote:

> At 5:57 PM -0500 2/7/04, David Beardsley wrote:
>
>> You're right, but they ARE modes of the major scale.
>

> True, but that's not exactly the same thing as saying that "diatonic"=
> the major scale. It's subtle and nit-picky but a worthy distinction to
> make. I prefer to think of a diatonic scale as a scale with a
> particular pattern of intervals, of which the most common (and one may
> choose to say the primary generative instantiation) is the major scale.

In 12 tone equal temperament, IT IS THE SAME SCALE. There's
no way anyone can spin it to make it look any different from reality.
The diatonic scale (aka the major scale) has 7 modes.

Learn it. Live with it. Realty.

We were discussing tuning, someone gets their vocabulary tripped up
and now we're off on trivial persuit.

--
* David Beardsley
* microtonal guitar