RE: waist high gear

Title: RE: waist high gear

Since I was the one that started this thread, thanks for all the suggestions.

What did I finally choose? I finally went with the Onstage Keyboard stand and a 16" x 30" piece of 3/4" pine spraypainted black for the table top. I can fit my V-AMP2, Behringer 10 channel mini-mixer, and INEKO on top without incident. A guitar center opened here in Ft Myers last week and they had a blowout special on the stands for $9 bucks, while supplies lasted! Figure even if it is a P.O.S. it will still last for a few months. Worth $9 to me.

Here is a summary of other solutions/ideas:

Travis Hartnett:
"Myself and various bandmates have been using those On Stage music stands with really wide tripod legs to hold samplers, small keyboards, mixers, effects, etc.  A little smaller than 2'x2', but readily available and quite sturdy.  Like most stands, they're a pain in the ass when they're folded up since they're odd-shaped, but I'd recommend looking at one of those."

Juan Urauhart
"i ended using one of thos x-shaped keybard stands,and a small case built for my waist-high gear..."

Greg House
"how about an ironing board?"

stanaranium
"i was thinkin more along the lines of a surfboard(or boogeeboard) on some milk crates...but hey, thats just me."

Mark Hamburg:
"PVC. (Probably not good for really heavy stuff though.)"

Doug Cox wrote:
"For instance, I wonder why there's not a whole series of shelves, platforms,tabletops, etc. that simply screw on to 1 or more mic stands?   Am I missing something, or is this non-existant?"

To which John McIntyre replied:
"It's not non-existant as I bought two of them.  Alas, the problem is that the support point is right at the mic stand and it is extremely easy to exceed the load capacity, causing the stand to collapse.  Very limited and not at all what I'd been hoping for."

Rick Walker (loop.pool):
"Another solution that I'm surprised not to have heard about so far is that percussionists have many different sizes of 'tray's to choose from that either attach to cymbal stands or to drum rack stands.  Just go to Latin Percussion, Toca Percussion, Pearl Percussion, Yamaha Percussion of Meinly percussion sites to find out what's available.

"Normally, cymbal and drum rack equipment is prohibitively expensive, but I see cymbal stands every week at the Santa Cruz flea market from $10 - $50.

"I'm really surprised that some one really enterprising hasn't started to explore this market.
The fact of the matter is that they are making backpacks that hold a hundred pounds that use materials that only weigh a few ounces.

"It seems like some of this technology could be used to start inventing versatile and collapsible stands
for stage shows. The mixer stand that someone suggested is really cool but it doesn't collapse and
weighs a ton which just doesn't work if you are getting around in a small car like I am."

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

D-MAK