Re: ANOTHER VIRUS SENT TO Loopers-Delight (was Re: Maria)

On Mar 3, 2004, at 8:50 PM, | SquidLoop | wrote:
> Or just clean your damn computers up and keep that anti-virus software
> updated :-)

totally. my mother is being forced to use windows machines in her
travel agency (she wants to switch, but try interfacing an airline
ticket line printer over a usb-serial interface through virtualPC, or
trusting that the ticketing-company-specific security plugin for IE
will work under virtualPC. we wouldn't want anyone using a non-MS
browser in a business environment, would we?).

i run Spybot Search and Destroy monthly on her 3 machines and that
takes care of browser hijacking. she was interfacing to Hotmail through
Outlook, but when we migrated to new machiines the mailboxes wouldn't
export, so she's back to using hotmail through the browser. i'm going
to switch her over to an IMAP account on my own website to simplify her
mail-sending experience.

yes, keeping your computer clean and spending at least 8 hours a month
maintaining and updating it against viruses and browser hijacking is a
more affordable alternative than buying a macintosh (which requires
updating as well). i totally agree.

> From: Jesse Ray Lucas [mailto:jlucas@neoprimitive.net]
> Download and install some user-friendly Linux distribution like
> RedHat, or
> Mandrake.  It's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a Mac.  Free, in
> fact,
> and it will run on your PC hardware.

yeah, but then i couldn't run Numerology . :) haha ...
---
Eric Williamson
www.suitandtieguy.com