First Gig involving looping...

It's not exactly attention grabbing news to the list, I'm sure, but I
thought I'd share anyway.  I'm a bassplayer at heart, but I've been
playing
drums in an improv group with some friends.  I also run sound for us from
little powered mixer I set up next to my hi hat. Well, we got invited to
be
the soundtrack for an art show at a local gallery, as well as do something
we hadn't done before and back up a writer/professor friend of ours doing
sort of improvisational "reading".  Of course I took the oportunity to try
incorporating a little looping into our jam with my DL4.  I set it up on
an
aux send, and was able to 'grab' snippets of other instruments as we
played,
looping and effecting them to create some great textures.  It also allowed
me to loop a minimalist beat my friend played on his sampler during the
"reading" sections, freeing him up to play other things.  When each
reading
section was done I could fade out the beat as the jam would pick up, and
conversely, fade it back in as we'd reach the next reading section.  It
really worked out well, and provided some coherance and continuity to the
whole thing.  Another thing I got a kick out of was doing a quick little
ambient/creepy texture bed before our set, and during our breaks.  Made a
great atmosphere for an otherwise plain old art show.

The really great thing was, the show was a hit, the audience and patrons
loved it, the artists loved it, the gallery owner loved it, our
professor/writer friend loved it, and WE loved it.  It was a big step for
us
in that, we are all on instruments that we're fairly inexperienced with
and
we're NOT that good.  We were all wary of what we knew could have easily
been a disaster.  Fortunately, it was a wonderful success.  And just to
brag, we pulled it off despite the fact that I was in intense chest pain
all
night, eventually to the point of an Emergency room visit......I had REAL
gas.....not the usual kind we musician's are familiar with ;-)

So, now I have the urge to start incorporating my repeater that I've been
neglecting and really muck things up.......

Thanks to everyone for the information and inspiration.  This shit is fun.

Jason