Re: art rock recommendations?

Rick -

My personal favorite HC was/is "In Praise Of Learning."

The odd thing is when I was growing up as a teen in the latter-half of the
70's in France this stuff was as hip and happening among the other "muso's"
as perhaps Stereolab is today.

Anyway, here's a Henry Cow chronology -- you'll see lots of bands that
listed that fell into the Henry Cow orbit.
http://perso.club-internet.fr/calyx/bands/chrono/henrycow.html

Some HC band history here...http://www.furious.com/perfect/henrycow.html

Or search closely here: http://www.ccutler.com/bands/group02.shtml and ask
Chris Cutler for recommendations. :-)

If you're not already familiar with them, try adding Robert Wyatt and Soft
Machine to your "exploration" list.

However I *strongly* support Chris Muir's MAGMA recommendation.  Now here
is
a band whose work defies description.  Try getting Mekanik Destruktiw
Kommandoh (1973) or MAGMA LIVE (1975).  WOW!

David